Skip to main content

Saudi and Iran foreign ministers hold Ramadan call; Vow to meet 'soon'

 


The Foreign Ministers of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Islamic Republic of Iran held a phone call to mark the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. They also agreed to meet “soon” to start the process of re-opening embassies and consulates in the two countries.

Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Saudi Arabia, called Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Iran, to congratulate him on the occasion of Ramadan.

The Saudi foreign ministry said in a statement posted on Twitter, "The two ministers agreed to hold a bilateral meeting soon in order to pave the way for the reopening of embassies and consulates between the two countries.”

According to the Saudi state news agency SPA (Saudi Press Agency), the Iranian foreign minister expressed Iran's readiness to strengthen relations with Saudi Arabia.

Earlier this month, the two countries agreed to revive their relations after years of hostility. The deal to revive the relations between Saudi Arabia and Iran was brokered by the People’s Republic of China. The Chinese-brokered rapprochement helped to restore diplomatic ties between Iran and Saudi Arabia after seven years of conflict.

Antonio Guterres, the Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN), welcomed the latest development in the Middle East region. Many other foreign leaders also welcomed the move.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia cut ties with Iran in 2016 after its embassy in Tehran was stormed by demonstrators over the execution of prominent Shia Muslim cleric Nimr Baqir al-Nimr in Riyadh. Saudi Arabia said it executed Nimr Baqir al-Nimr over terror-related offences. However, this incident increased tension between the two countries because Iran mostly has Shi'ite Muslims and Saudi Arabia has Sunni Muslims.

Saudi Arabia also accused Iran of conducting drone attacks on its oil facilities in 2019. The Saudi authorities also said that Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi movement carried out drone attacks on Saudi Arabia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israeli settlers have once again attacked religious minorities in the region, this time targeting a church in East Jerusalem.

  According to reports, the settlers assaulted clerics and worshippers at the Church of the Sepulchre of Saint Charbel, causing damage to the property and injuring several people. This kind of behavior is not only unacceptable but also undermines efforts to promote peace and stability in the region. Attacks on religious minorities are a direct attack on religious freedom and must be condemned by all. The Israeli authorities must take swift action to bring the perpetrators to justice and hold them accountable for their actions. It is also important to ensure the safety and protection of religious minorities and their places of worship, as guaranteed by international law. this incident is a sad reminder of the ongoing conflict in the region and the need for a comprehensive and just solution. It is up to all of us to work together to promote understanding, tolerance, and respect for different beliefs and cultures, and to build a brighter and more peaceful future for all.

Fights break out as Kurds protest the French government's denial of a terrorist attack

  Following the murder of three Kurds in what is being considered to be a probable racist incident , there have been widespread protests in Paris. The fact that the authorities did not view the attack at a Kurdish centre as a terrorist act has enraged the Kurdish diaspora in Paris. A 69-year-old man opened fire on a crowd of individuals early on Friday morning at the Ahmet-Kaya centre on Rue d'Enghien in the 10th arrondissement. One of the three victims is badly injured. All of the dead were Kurdish community members who passed away both inside and outside the cultural centre. Agit Polat, a spokesman for the Kurdish centre, charged that French officials "yet again failed to safeguard us... This is a terrorist attack in our eyes, according to the AFP news agency. In the afternoon, a number of protestors, largely from the Kurdish diaspora, got into a fight with the police outside the centre and in the streets close by, throwing rocks and torching trash cans. Police use...

Verbal spat between Joe Biden and Benjamin Netanyahu over Israel judicial overhaul

  The Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, turned down United States President Joe Biden’s suggestion that the Israeli government “walks away” from a plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. A verbal spat between the two close allies took place on Wednesday. The US President and Israeli Prime Minister exchanged a few words on judicial changes in Israel. On Tuesday, reporters asked Joe Biden about Israel’s judicial overhaul planned reforms. Biden reportedly said, “I hope he (Netanyahu) walks away from it.” He said that the Israeli government “cannot continue down this road” and urged compromise on this plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. Subsequently, the Israeli PM said that his country makes its own decisions. He reportedly said in a statement, “Israel is a sovereign country which makes its decisions by the will of its people and not based on pressures from abroad, including from the best of friends.” Netanyahu’s latest comments came a day after he de...