Skip to main content

Clashes in Iraq’s Basra among Shiite rivals cause casualties

 


Clashes among rival Shiite Muslim militants in the city of Basra in Iraq on Thursday morning killed four people. The local security officials shared the news with the local media.

The clashes also occurred throughout the country amid a political crisis that pits followers of the powerful Shiite cleric Moqtada Al-Sadr against Iran-aligned political parties.

Reportedly, the latest clashes took place in the centre of Basra, Iraq’s main oil-producing hub. Basra has historically been a flashpoint between the rival Shiite groups.

The violence started again in the country this week as armed supporters of Sadr fought with security forces and Iran-aligned gunmen in Baghdad, the capital of Iraq.

Last month, thousands of supporters of Sadr stormed the parliament building in Baghdad. Sadr reportedly said that he was resigning from politics because of the actions of a rival political coalition, the Co-ordination Framework. Sadr said he would resign from politics after 10 months of failed negotiations to form a government.

The political deadlock between the two rival Shiite camps has left Iraq without a government since October. Sadr’s party was the winner in the general election in October 2021. However, Sadr failed to form a government that would exclude his Iran-backed rivals.

In June, his party resigned en masse after Sadr asked them to step down because of the political crisis over the formation of a government. In August, Sadr demanded the dissolution of parliament and called for early elections.

Recently, Iraqi President, Barham Salih, also said that early elections might resolve the political crisis in the country. He also asked Sadr to put efforts to end the violence in the country.

Recently, Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi threatened to vacate his post if the complicated political stand-off in the country remains. He said, “I will take the patriotic decision to vacate my position.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israeli settlers have once again attacked religious minorities in the region, this time targeting a church in East Jerusalem.

  According to reports, the settlers assaulted clerics and worshippers at the Church of the Sepulchre of Saint Charbel, causing damage to the property and injuring several people. This kind of behavior is not only unacceptable but also undermines efforts to promote peace and stability in the region. Attacks on religious minorities are a direct attack on religious freedom and must be condemned by all. The Israeli authorities must take swift action to bring the perpetrators to justice and hold them accountable for their actions. It is also important to ensure the safety and protection of religious minorities and their places of worship, as guaranteed by international law. this incident is a sad reminder of the ongoing conflict in the region and the need for a comprehensive and just solution. It is up to all of us to work together to promote understanding, tolerance, and respect for different beliefs and cultures, and to build a brighter and more peaceful future for all.

Fights break out as Kurds protest the French government's denial of a terrorist attack

  Following the murder of three Kurds in what is being considered to be a probable racist incident , there have been widespread protests in Paris. The fact that the authorities did not view the attack at a Kurdish centre as a terrorist act has enraged the Kurdish diaspora in Paris. A 69-year-old man opened fire on a crowd of individuals early on Friday morning at the Ahmet-Kaya centre on Rue d'Enghien in the 10th arrondissement. One of the three victims is badly injured. All of the dead were Kurdish community members who passed away both inside and outside the cultural centre. Agit Polat, a spokesman for the Kurdish centre, charged that French officials "yet again failed to safeguard us... This is a terrorist attack in our eyes, according to the AFP news agency. In the afternoon, a number of protestors, largely from the Kurdish diaspora, got into a fight with the police outside the centre and in the streets close by, throwing rocks and torching trash cans. Police use...

Verbal spat between Joe Biden and Benjamin Netanyahu over Israel judicial overhaul

  The Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, turned down United States President Joe Biden’s suggestion that the Israeli government “walks away” from a plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. A verbal spat between the two close allies took place on Wednesday. The US President and Israeli Prime Minister exchanged a few words on judicial changes in Israel. On Tuesday, reporters asked Joe Biden about Israel’s judicial overhaul planned reforms. Biden reportedly said, “I hope he (Netanyahu) walks away from it.” He said that the Israeli government “cannot continue down this road” and urged compromise on this plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. Subsequently, the Israeli PM said that his country makes its own decisions. He reportedly said in a statement, “Israel is a sovereign country which makes its decisions by the will of its people and not based on pressures from abroad, including from the best of friends.” Netanyahu’s latest comments came a day after he de...