Skip to main content

Somalia: Blast in Galka’yo kills Dozens Included Military Officers.

 

Saturday, December 19, 2020. Reports from Galkayo the capital of Mudug region say that a suicide bomber blew himself up at the residence of the prime minister of Somalia Mohamed Hussein Roble. The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a football stadium in Galkayo, the capital of Galmudug state.

Preliminary reports of casualties in the blast say that civilians and military officers, including Danab's deputy commander in Marsho, were seriously injured, and the commander of the 21st Division, General Qooje, and other officers were killed. The dead also include former Galkayo District Commissioner Mohamud Yassin Tumey and the death toll has risen so far.

The bombings come at a time of deteriorating security, disputed election commissions and the president's preoccupation with foreign policy. It is feared that the explosions will increase, and security will deteriorate. The government has not yet come up with a plan to stop extremist groups from killing civilians in Somalia, but it is busy cutting ties with neighbor countries.

The death toll from the blast is reported to be more than 30 people, including military officers, various officials as well as civilians who went to the airport to welcome Prime Minister Roble.

The Commander of the Somali National Army, General Odowa Yusuf Rage, speaking to state-run media, confirmed the deaths of the officers and offered his condolences to the Somali National Army and the general public for the deaths of the officers and civilians.

Meanwhile, Somali Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble spoke about the suicide bombing that took place today at the Abdullahi Isse International Airport in Galkayo, where he was being welcomed.

The blast was claimed by al-Shabab, which said in a statement that the blast was carried out by a suicide bomber who targeted Prime Minister Roble. Roble issued a statement sending his deepest condolences to the families and the people of Somalia for the loss of national officials and civilians who were martyred in this afternoon's terrorist attack in Galkayo.

"I pray to God to shower His mercy on all of them and to give patience and faith to the relatives and the Somali people who have left," he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israeli settlers have once again attacked religious minorities in the region, this time targeting a church in East Jerusalem.

  According to reports, the settlers assaulted clerics and worshippers at the Church of the Sepulchre of Saint Charbel, causing damage to the property and injuring several people. This kind of behavior is not only unacceptable but also undermines efforts to promote peace and stability in the region. Attacks on religious minorities are a direct attack on religious freedom and must be condemned by all. The Israeli authorities must take swift action to bring the perpetrators to justice and hold them accountable for their actions. It is also important to ensure the safety and protection of religious minorities and their places of worship, as guaranteed by international law. this incident is a sad reminder of the ongoing conflict in the region and the need for a comprehensive and just solution. It is up to all of us to work together to promote understanding, tolerance, and respect for different beliefs and cultures, and to build a brighter and more peaceful future for all.

Fights break out as Kurds protest the French government's denial of a terrorist attack

  Following the murder of three Kurds in what is being considered to be a probable racist incident , there have been widespread protests in Paris. The fact that the authorities did not view the attack at a Kurdish centre as a terrorist act has enraged the Kurdish diaspora in Paris. A 69-year-old man opened fire on a crowd of individuals early on Friday morning at the Ahmet-Kaya centre on Rue d'Enghien in the 10th arrondissement. One of the three victims is badly injured. All of the dead were Kurdish community members who passed away both inside and outside the cultural centre. Agit Polat, a spokesman for the Kurdish centre, charged that French officials "yet again failed to safeguard us... This is a terrorist attack in our eyes, according to the AFP news agency. In the afternoon, a number of protestors, largely from the Kurdish diaspora, got into a fight with the police outside the centre and in the streets close by, throwing rocks and torching trash cans. Police use...

Verbal spat between Joe Biden and Benjamin Netanyahu over Israel judicial overhaul

  The Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, turned down United States President Joe Biden’s suggestion that the Israeli government “walks away” from a plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. A verbal spat between the two close allies took place on Wednesday. The US President and Israeli Prime Minister exchanged a few words on judicial changes in Israel. On Tuesday, reporters asked Joe Biden about Israel’s judicial overhaul planned reforms. Biden reportedly said, “I hope he (Netanyahu) walks away from it.” He said that the Israeli government “cannot continue down this road” and urged compromise on this plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. Subsequently, the Israeli PM said that his country makes its own decisions. He reportedly said in a statement, “Israel is a sovereign country which makes its decisions by the will of its people and not based on pressures from abroad, including from the best of friends.” Netanyahu’s latest comments came a day after he de...