Skip to main content

Cement firm Lafarge pleads guilty to supporting IS


  The firm agreed to a $777.8m (£687.2m) penalty for payments it made to keep a factory running in Syria after war broke out in 2011.

Prosecutors said it marked the first time a company had pleaded guilty in the US to aiding terrorists.

Lafarge said it "deeply regretted" the events and "accepted responsibility for the individual executives involved".

The cement manufacturer, which was bought by Switzerland's Holcim in 2015, said their behaviour had been in "flagrant violation" of Lafarge's code of conduct.

The firm opened its plant in Jalabiya near the Turkish border in 2010 following a $680m investment.


Lafarge eventually evacuated the plant in September 2014, when Islamic State took control of the town and the factory. But before its departure, the deals helped the company do $70.3m in sales, prosecutors said.

Lafarge had previously admitted bribes were paid after an internal investigation. But US Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said on Tuesday that the company's actions "reflect corporate crime that has reached a new low and a very dark place."

"Business with terrorists cannot be business as usual," she added.

In a statement, Lafarge's new owner Holcim said none of the conduct involved Holcim, "which has never operated in Syria".

It added that former Lafarge executives involved in the bribery had concealed it from Holcim, as well as external auditors.

Eric Olsen, who was CEO between 2015 and 2017, stepped down from his role following an investigation into Lafarge's activities in Syria.

At the time, Mr Olsen said he had not been involved in any wrongdoing and was standing down to bring "serenity" to the company.

The Department of Justice said that senior executives at Lafarge were involved in the arrangements and aware they risked running afoul of authorities.

Executives had attempted to require Islamic State not to include the name "Lafarge" on documents memorializing and implementing their agreements and many involved in the scheme also used personal email addresses, rather than their corporate email addresses, to carry out the conspiracy, the Department said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israeli settlers have once again attacked religious minorities in the region, this time targeting a church in East Jerusalem.

  According to reports, the settlers assaulted clerics and worshippers at the Church of the Sepulchre of Saint Charbel, causing damage to the property and injuring several people. This kind of behavior is not only unacceptable but also undermines efforts to promote peace and stability in the region. Attacks on religious minorities are a direct attack on religious freedom and must be condemned by all. The Israeli authorities must take swift action to bring the perpetrators to justice and hold them accountable for their actions. It is also important to ensure the safety and protection of religious minorities and their places of worship, as guaranteed by international law. this incident is a sad reminder of the ongoing conflict in the region and the need for a comprehensive and just solution. It is up to all of us to work together to promote understanding, tolerance, and respect for different beliefs and cultures, and to build a brighter and more peaceful future for all.

Fights break out as Kurds protest the French government's denial of a terrorist attack

  Following the murder of three Kurds in what is being considered to be a probable racist incident , there have been widespread protests in Paris. The fact that the authorities did not view the attack at a Kurdish centre as a terrorist act has enraged the Kurdish diaspora in Paris. A 69-year-old man opened fire on a crowd of individuals early on Friday morning at the Ahmet-Kaya centre on Rue d'Enghien in the 10th arrondissement. One of the three victims is badly injured. All of the dead were Kurdish community members who passed away both inside and outside the cultural centre. Agit Polat, a spokesman for the Kurdish centre, charged that French officials "yet again failed to safeguard us... This is a terrorist attack in our eyes, according to the AFP news agency. In the afternoon, a number of protestors, largely from the Kurdish diaspora, got into a fight with the police outside the centre and in the streets close by, throwing rocks and torching trash cans. Police use...

Verbal spat between Joe Biden and Benjamin Netanyahu over Israel judicial overhaul

  The Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, turned down United States President Joe Biden’s suggestion that the Israeli government “walks away” from a plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. A verbal spat between the two close allies took place on Wednesday. The US President and Israeli Prime Minister exchanged a few words on judicial changes in Israel. On Tuesday, reporters asked Joe Biden about Israel’s judicial overhaul planned reforms. Biden reportedly said, “I hope he (Netanyahu) walks away from it.” He said that the Israeli government “cannot continue down this road” and urged compromise on this plan to overhaul the country’s legal system. Subsequently, the Israeli PM said that his country makes its own decisions. He reportedly said in a statement, “Israel is a sovereign country which makes its decisions by the will of its people and not based on pressures from abroad, including from the best of friends.” Netanyahu’s latest comments came a day after he de...